Thursday, May 15, 2008

Preparing For Hogwarts

Where was I? Oh yes. We had arrived at Diagon Alley. I felt so strange there. So much was different, but so much was the same too. It was sort of like seeing double.

While mom went to exchange some money at Gringott's Wizarding Bank, dad took me to Flourish and Blott's to select the books I would need. My classes are Astronomy, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions, and Transfiguration. Mom came with our Galleons, Sickles, and Knuts while we were still waiting in line to pay.

Once we had my books, mom put them all in her purse. I should have known she'd pull a Mary Poppins or something. Our next stop was Ollivander's Wands for, what else, my magic wand. I'm not sure how, but Mr. Ollivander knew the right wand for me immediately. It's made of Holly and has a Dragon Heartstring core.

We stopped at Madam Malkin's Robes For All Occasions to pick up my student robes. I hate the idea of uniforms, but once I tried it on, I realized that the cut suited me very well. We got three each of standard skirts, blouses, ties, vests, socks, and shoes. Mom bought a Quidditch uniform for me "just in case you want to play on a team." Dad said each item was "blank" until I was sorted into a House. At that time, the uniform would adjust to the proper House colors and badges.

We bought the rest of the required items without and problems. Dad suggested I buy a field mouse for a familiar. I bought a very sweet brown and grey mouse named Dewey.

After a lovely lunch that was thankfully free of any magic, my parents took me to the train station. They held my hands and took me through the wall to the Hogwarts Express platform.

Saying goodbye was awful. Even though my parents are a pain, I miss them like crazy. I thought I was going to throw up when the train started to move and they appeared smaller and smaller as we pulled away from the station.

We didn't reach Hogwarts until nighttime. A giant with a brown shaggy beard led us to a dark lake where little boats were waiting for us. (I found out later that the giant's name is Hagrid.) The boats steered themselves to the far shore of the lake where a very imposing Gothic structure awaited us. Once inside, we were led to a Great Hall that was already filled with other students.

Our Headmistress, Ms. Wartbobble, greeted us warmly and told us to come to the front of the room to be sorted. I'm really glad mom and dad told me all about this or I would've been completely lost. This awesome old brown hat was placed on each student's head and it called out what House we were to be in.

Mom and dad had hoped I'd be placed in Ravenclaw because of my IQ and academic interests. The hat had other ideas. It said that I had a strong spirit and brave heart that belonged in Gryffindor. So I'm in Gryffindor House. ROAR, ROAR, GRYFFINDOR!

We ate a lovely dinner and then were led to our dormitories. We were introduced to our prefect and sent to bed. I had no argument there - I was exhausted! They said that we'd be assigned our term-long dorm mates later in the week. I thought I'd have a tough time getting to sleep in such a strange and new place, but I think I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow.

3 comments:

Gryffinitter said...

I love your mouse familiar! We had a mouse named "Mouse" and it was the best pet we ever had. My son still misses him!

I think I was thinking so much about the mouse that I forgot to say anything last time! Silly Belladonna! I'm glad you are settling in so well so far. I'm stuck further up the tower in Married Student housing, with one door that goes down to the stairs to the common room, and one out to a staircase that moves constantly. DH is constantly getting sidetracked on his way home, but the food here is better than my cooking so he says it evens things out! Very odd to be a first year when my son is a fifth year, though!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laeita, I havent had a chance to see how your going since school started. I hope we get to catch up in the Great hall for the feast tomorrow night. Have a great day.

Erika said...

That was quite a day you had, no wonder you were exhausted. I would've been sleepwalking to my bed.