Thursday, May 22, 2008

Running To Catch Up

Time is just flying by. I'd best be careful - around here you might just see a winged hourglass flutter by the window if I say that!

I've joined the Dueling Club. Traditionally, it is a duel between wizards and/or witches using our wands. In this particular club, though, our wands are knitting needles and our spells are patterns. It has been stated that there are to be no spells that allow for automatic knitting, speed enhanced knitting, accuracy enhanced knitting, or any other spell that affect the knitting process itself.

We are allowed to use any spells that enhance the yarn used. We can have color-changing yarns, content-changing yarns, strength and durability enhanced yarns, etc.

I'm in the sock knitting bracket. There's a hat knitting bracket, but sock knitting is what I'm most familiar with, so I figured I'd go with that.

I've made good friends with Henrietta Sweeting, a second year in Hufflepuff House. We don't see each other very often due to the massive workload and being in different Houses. It's a shame, really. I need to work harder at keeping in touch. Maybe we could plan to meet for a chat in the Great Hall over the weekend.

I used to hate gym class in school, but now I love it. We're learning how to fly on broomsticks! I've even gone so far as to join the Quidditch team for Gryffindor House. Yet again, mom was right. I'm glad I have the regulation Quidditch uniform. Sure enough, the colors and badges have all changed to Gryffindor colors. We're still just practicing, but the first match against the other Houses is coming soon!

Dewey is the coolest mouse ever! He's very friendly; he even eats out of my hand. I've also discovered that he knows English. He can't speak, but I borrowed a Ouija board from a fellow student to help him out. He walks up to the letters he wants, puts his paw on it, and looks up to be sure I've paid attention. I sure do have to pay attention. Dewey is fast!

There are these really cool folks called House Elves here. They're short, large-eyed, large-eared, child-looking creatures. They're kind for the most part, but as with everything, there are a few sour grapes among them. I've heard that they're practically slaves in lots of places, but they're all free elves here at Hogwarts. It's funny, the jobs have remained the same and all, but they're downright cheerful about doing them. I guess this hasn't always been the case.

I've befriended a couple of the house elves. The one assigned especially to our dorm, Belinda, is the sweetest little lady I ever have run across. She's always bringing us little goodies from the kitchen after hours. Usually it's just a cookie or two, but sometimes she outdoes herself with an entire meal's worth of midnight snacks. I do mean midnight! She sneaks warily in, her arms laden with a tray of food and drink, and sets it silently down on the central table. She stands and beams at us while we eat, occasionally giggling softly and murmuring comments about keeping her "dear ones" fed and happy. We all just love her like crazy. Belinda is the BEST!

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

Oh, I am having fun flying in gym class too! It should come in handy if I ever decide to travel by muggle transportation--car and get stuck in a "traffic jam." I believe that's what they call it.

Gryffinitter said...

Oh - I love your mouse and the Ouji board! I have Muggle friends who speak in a similar way.

Belladonna Boomslang